Wednesday, October 9, 2013

$4 METFORMIN

I am part of a PCOS group on Facebook and this question is raised a lot on there: “How can I afford my medication for PCOS without insurance?”
As someone with PCOS that is uninsured {as a lot of us are nowadays} and on Metformin {most common medication to help control symptoms}, I get my prescription filled at my local Wal-Mart. It is on their $4.00 list (generic only) for a 30 day supply. I did have to pay my initial doctors visit, to see him & get my prescription, but he was able to issue my script for a year at a time.
Unless I need to go see him for a specific reason, the $4.00 is all I pay per month. Once my prescription is up at the end of the year, I call him and let him know (he is aware I do not have insurance and is willing to do whatever he can over the phone, to avoid an office visit charge.) If at anytime during the year I feel like it isn’t working or I need to adjust the doseage, I call him and he adjusts it and/or will see me if needed.
I know some doctors aren’t as willing to work with uninsured as mine is, but it is worth at least asking. He also gives me a pretty good discount on office visits, if I pay in full up front. They usually run about $65.00 after the discount. Most medical and dental facilities I’ve come across offer the same type of discount, for the uninsured.
Now, why can’t fertility medication be on that $4.00 list, too?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment